ANCHAL'S GOAL IS TO CREATE SUSTAINABLE, INCOME-GENERATING TEXTILE INITIATIVES RUN WITH LOCAL LEADERSHIP THAT CREATE LONG-TERM CHANGE FOR EXPLOITED AND MARGINALIZED WOMEN.
Structured as a non-profit social enterprise, Anchal is held to high standards of transparency and impact combined with intentions of self-sufficiency through product sales. Anchal's organization is based on collaboration & innovative design solutions.
Anchal’s holistic program is designed to address the diverse needs of each woman and equip them with the tools needed to sustain employment as an Anchal artisan and beyond. By offering alternatives to dangerous and exploitive work, Anchal helps women rediscover their dignity, independence and creativity in a financially rewarding way. The program offers women design and skills training, full-time employment, educational workshops, health services, a supportive community and access to an international marketplace.
SKILLS & DESIGN TRAINING
• Provide job skills training that include machine tailoring, hand dyeing and kantha quilt making
• Teach basic design concepts as an outlet for self-expression and entrepreneurship [Learn more about our design workshops here]
"We all want to make high-quality pieces. It gives us something to work for.” –Klowati
FULL-TIME, SUSTAINABLE EMPLOYMENT
• Pay a fair-trade & competitive wage
• Full-time employment opportunities
• For 65% of artisans, Anchal is their first legal / recorded career.
“It is very hard to find consistent work. The reliable work at Anchal gives us peace of mind.” – Medina
• Offer monthly workshops in leadership, financial planning, entrepreneurship, women’s health, self-defense and stress management
• Provide life skills that support independence and prepare for future careers, beyond Anchal [Learn more about our workshops here]
"Once we are here, we don't feel like going back home. We forget all of the tension and stress and laugh together." -Afsana
• Bi-annual health check-ups and eye exams are offered to all artisans
• A large, international marketplace for Artisan made products to generate the necessary financial support they deserve
“We work really hard to make stuff that people like. When people buy our products it means that we can feed, clothe, and educate our children.” – Nazia
• A safe place to learn & work
• An active community of guidance and support from project leaders, mentors & fellow artisans
• Learn more by reading our blog post "Community is Not Enough"
"Anchal has given us unity, dignity and companionship. The loneliness of struggling alone has changed into a collective challenge to bring positive change in our lives. We support each other in it.” - Santosh
Anchal partners with established Non-Government Organizations [NGOS] that serve exploited women with interest in offering income-generating programs to their members. By partnering with Anchal, the NGOs can provide more holistic care to the women they serve. In turn, Anchal experiences an immediate and measurable impact by partnering with NGOs already integral to the communities they serve.
Anchal helps meet this need by providing seed money, design guidance and access to U.S. markets. In exchange, our partners recruit Anchal artisans and provide a local project manager to oversee the operation.